Mary's party child

If Jesus was lived in our time today, I get the idea that I would be dj’ying at his birthday party today. Jesus, who is God the creator, lived among humans ás marry's child and we see that he was not religious but rather a normal person who enjoyed life including partying (John 2). So, how do we celebrate and enjoy our festives but still retain our faith and relationship with God as Christians? We should party and not be weird rigid religious people but in the process we still need to be careful because many young people would make decisions that would be a lifetime burden or regret. Parents are also off-guard, so many would be first timers of bad habits and parents would not even know.

The black Jesus

Nobody knows exactly when Jesus was born but it was agreed that He was possibly conceived the same day He died on the 25th March (Easter), so they just added 9 months to make 25th December His birthday. The actual date is of no importance to me. Pastor Ray preached a message that what matters most is that He came to earth legally ( in a human way) and He died for us. So, we cannot be arguing about trivial things like dates just like heathens. I heard some ridiculous carnal-minded people even arguing that Jesus was black; how absurd! What does that got to do with anything? But I must say the thought twice when I read that they ran out of wine at a wedding which Jesus was invited to in John 2:3. I just thought, “How can they run out of wine if everyone who was there was invited?” I mean the poor Jesus had to brew six stone jars (equivalent of about 150 gallons) of water into wine and this is about 900 bottles of Four Cousins. Yo yo yo, there must have been a lot of uninvited guests! Typical of black people, Eish mara!

Drinking

Mat 11:18-19 NLT For John didn't spend his time eating and drinking, and you say, 'He's possessed by a demon.' (19) The Son of Man, on the other hand, feasts and drinks, and you say, 'He's a glutton and a drunkard, and a friend of tax collectors and other sinners!' But wisdom is shown to be right by its results."

We cannot argue about this: Jesus drank alcohol! There is nothing wrong with having a good time and controlled drinking but …

1Cor 6:12 AMP Everything is permissible (allowable and lawful) for me; but not all things are helpful (good for me to do, expedient and profitable when considered with other things). Everything is lawful for me, but I will not become the slave of anything or be brought under its power.

We are allowed to have fun and to party but not everything is profitable especially to us Children of God (spiritual). You don’t want to wake up with guilt and condemnation due to the regrettable activities that you got into after drinking. The festive season is the time where the enemy is more active because we are in a more relaxed mode and vulnerable.

1Peter 5:8 AMP Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour.

It is important to stay sober and behave like Godly people.

Parties

Rom 13:13 ISV Let us behave decently, as people who live in the light of day. No wild parties, drunkenness, sexual immorality, promiscuity, rivalry, or jealousy!

You can tell that some of these parties are not right places for you. It is very important to keep a good company of friends instead of bad people who would lead you into such places.

1Cor 15:33-34 AMP Do not be so deceived and misled! Evil companionships (communion, associations) corrupt and deprave good manners and morals and character. (34) Awake [from your drunken stupor and return] to sober sense and your right minds, and sin no more. For some of you have not the knowledge of God [you are utterly and willfully and disgracefully ignorant, and continue to be so, lacking the sense of God's presence and all true knowledge of Him]. I say this to your shame.

As children of the Lord filled with the Spirit, we gotta have some self-control as a spiritual discipline.

Gal 5:22-23 ISV But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, (23) gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things.

Every December, I used to go to the bar in my teenage years to show off the new dancing moves with my friends because we always had an expectant audience. Soon my friends were drinking but I only played pool because I came from a religious strict home, but I joined drinking in later years. Soon enough we were partying in the house, drinking heavily and braaing meat with chicks. The devil never attempted to tempt me during the year but December was my weakest point. Later, all hell broke loose where, as an extremist, I was involved in everything everywhere with everyone (let me spare you details today). I have had many regrettable irreversible moments and I am still limping from some of the consequences resulting from just a little bit of Fun. Last year during family parties with friends, I had to jump out in a fraction of a second before making a big mistake. I thought of how far I have come with God and though I know that He forgives me, I gotta start honouring Him with my life by being responsible. God has given us power as people above angels and hence we cannot expect Him to throw a mattress under us every time we jump off the cliff. We have to be partners with Him, so He has to trust us at some point. Though everything is acceptable, I choose to play safe this festive season and hope that God will meet me half-way and I wish the same for all of you.

Let us enjoy ourselves and guard each other as children of the same father while we celebrate our big brother’s birthday. Merry Christmas!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your email address: