The ICC Cricket WC snack offering: It's not over until South Africans pray!

It was a thrilling battle of nerves at Nagpur when the Proteas broke Indian hearts with a 3 wicket (2 balls remaining) win at the ICC Cricket World last Saturday. My TV lost signal just when I had lost hope after the first batting team India where on 271-1. At that stage and rate, most people were expecting India to reach 400 runs but then of course Dale Willem Steyn stained the Indians by bowling out 5/9 wickets for 29 runs leaving India at 296 all-out after 48.4 overs. I called that a miracle and wished that the one in charge of this phenomenon continue to do so by letting SA win.

Millions of South African fans were holding their hearts with their hands and their eyes glued on TV screens when SA needed 13 runs to win in the last over. By this time even the rain had stoped and allowing me to switch on my TV and log on to Facebook where Status updates where all desperate SA prayers especially after a previous 6 runs loose to England. Prayers? I wonder Why did so many South Africans prayed, as if God is South African? Anyway, after saying amen, I saw my man, Robin Peterson, blast a six and two fours to win the game with only 3 balls remaining. Orlando pirates dying seconds style kind of winning which me and my friends call Neeca Time winning.   We screamed louder than Graeme smith and the boys at the field as our hearts started pumping again like we just received a new life. Phew! After the game, a thought came to me that "what if it was our prayers that saved the Proteas?"

I tried playing Cricket in high school but there was this fast bowler named Abed, who made me change my mind. I grew up in the villages and I wasn’t about to have someone that big throwing a big stone at me again … and it was red too, signifying that it struck someone before, already!

And the cricket pens, yo! I think they should change them to cargo pens with enough pockets because putting a cap and a towel behind your pens is just not cute. Not Ayoba! 

In cricket, if you bowl someone out, why don’t you scream “goal!” or “out"or something that make more sense than “haeaaaaaaaahh!”?... And there is this cool empire who thinks he’s all-that with the shades (sunglasses) and all. He always takes his time evaluating your screams based on the loudness of your sore throats and the intensity of your faces. If he is impressed by your yelling, the empire will raise one finger to say , “that’s a good one!” . So, at school I just decided that I would just play music for the spectators in the crowd, at least so that in sports day I don’t feel left out ( like my man- Hashim Amla’s beards outside that helmet when he’s batting, perhaps?). I continued playing the township cricket though, you know Skop-die-bal/ Fesheni/Duvheke/makotasi which was more safer. LOL!

I don’t know what India or other nations do in desperate moment of nervousness but, based on the Facebook and telephone confessions that I received on that day, ours is a nation that turn to God. Our national Anthem is a prayer of salvation and we also sing “Re tsepele wena” with deep prayerful soul. I know you may not believe it but based on the historical facts, it’s no secret that the Lord’s hand is upon our nation and we give all glory to God.

Fellow South Africans, I know that some people don’t believe that prayers apply in such situations as in sports but I believe God is everywhere and there is a reason why the Word advise us to pray at all times ( Eph.6:18). While all other eyes where in Nagpur, God’s eyes where in SA where His name was being called and I know He hears our prayers.

Let me further encourage you that it may seem like South Africa is losing a battle against aids, crime, divorces, corruption and other evils but I believe that there is a reason why believers across the country never stop to fast and meet for all night prayers to continue praying for our nations.

Galatians 6:9 NLT So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up.

Guys, do not underestimate prayer. When everything else has failed and you are in that last moment of hopelessness, kneel down. It’s not over while we can still pray!

God bless Proteas even as they face the rest of the nations like Sri Lanka, New Zealand or Australia. Nkosi sikeli Africa!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your email address: