SNACK OFFERING : The Parking Attendant vs a Beggar

I was at the Southgate shopping complex when I bumped into a peculiar parking attendant upon my return from the shop. I was back within three minutes after parking at an open free space right next to the store that I visited. A sudden voice shouting, “ Sho ngamla!” arouse my attention from an intimidating man with his hands clamping my car. It was a complementary greeting meaning “hi tycoon/white man!”, so I waved back with a smile like a president. I like Parking Attendants and I tip them because I thought, “ at least they are doing something rather than begging in street corners”. although I really don’t need assistance in parking (especially if the guy only shows me to turn left just after I turn left and to stop just after I did) or security in a free parking opposite the store and it was unnecessary to praise me by calling me a tycoon few seconds just after I downgraded my DSTV account to reduce costs aand helped by a Multichoice lady whose facial expression sarcastically read, “ you-must- be-really-broke, I thought recession is over”.

My eyes were still searching for a wallet when Mr. Car Attendant started attending me with his open hand through my window accompanied by an intimidating face and attitude that read “ I looked after your car and helped you park safely, so pay a corresponding amount worth my services” .

At a stop sign, I met a beggar sitting away from the vehicles as if he was feeling unworthy. He hesitated but moved towards me in way that he could quickly turn to a different direction if I shook my head in advance to reject him as he expects . He seemed to have no talent to write on the board or to entertain the motorists so as to earn his 50 cents. My angered heart suddenly got filled with compassion and I took whatever I had in my wallet to bless him. Contrary to Mr. Attendant’s drama, this time I drove off in peace after watching the joy, gratefulness and a spark in the eyes of that beggar.

Similarly my friends, we deceive ourselves when we believe that we can earn blessings from God simply by praising him or serving Him as if He needs our help. We think that God blesses us because we tithe, preach, usher, give, pray, write offerings, sing or use our talents! God is Omnipotent and complete, what could He possibly need from us? You must be honored and humbled that God chose to use you because He could have used anything, and I mean anything…

Numbers 22:28 NLT Then the LORD gave the donkey the ability to speak. "What have I done to you that deserves your beating me three times?" it asked Balaam.

If God can make a donkey to speak, surely He can use a cat to preach instead of you!

1 Kings 17:4-6 NLT Drink from the brook and eat what the ravens bring you, for I have commanded them to bring you food." (5) So Elijah did as the LORD told him and camped beside Kerith Brook, east of the Jordan. (6) The ravens brought him bread and meat each morning and evening, and he drank from the brook.

You think you are feeding or helping men of God or serving out of your ability? Ravens can do better!

Matthew 17:27 NLT However, we don't want to offend them, so go down to the lake and throw in a line. Open the mouth of the first fish you catch, and you will find a large silver coin. Take it and pay the tax for both of us."

You think that you are a big shot financing His ministries? I would prefer a hake over you because at least fish don’t buy Hummers and take all parking space in church.

We know about Ananias and Sapphira who thought that they could finance God’s “ needy” ministry:-

Acts 5:4 NLT The property was yours to sell or not sell, as you wished. And after selling it, the money was also yours to give away. How could you do a thing like this? You weren't lying to us but to God!"

What we don’t know is that Annie and Saphie were copying (works) people who knew what they were doing from the previous verses and chapter:-

Acts 4:34 NLT There were no needy people among them, because those who owned land or houses would sell them

Acts 4:37 NLT He sold a field he owned and brought the money to the apostles.

The reason for financing the ministry :-

Acts 4:32 NLT All the believers were united in heart and mind. And they felt that what they owned was not their own, so they shared everything they had.

If you understand that what you have is not your own, you would give with the right heart but if you think you are helping or donating out of what you own… Anie and Saphie!

Our works develop a stinking pride attitude that God hates

Matthew 23:12 NLT But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Zechariah 4:6 NLT Then he said to me, "This is what the LORD says to Zerubbabel: It is not by force nor by strength, but by My Spirit, says the LORD of Heaven's Armies.

James 4:6-7 NLT But … As the Scriptures say, "God opposes the proud but favors the humble." (7) So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

1 Peter 5:5-6 NLT In the same way, you younger men must accept the authority of the elders. And all of you, serve each other in humility, for "God opposes the proud but favors the humble." (6) So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time He will lift you up in honor.

I personally step out of line sometimes but the Lord knows how to humble me and usually in an embarrassing way. I act tough but the Word overwhelms me to whip like a baby ( like last Sunday morning when pastor Ray was preaching. At least backstage was dark and I could whip without anybody noticing it). The Lord’s presence is overwhelming and you cannot taste it if you are proud.

You didn’t even choose to be saved, so there is absolutely nothing to be proud about. There are people who are “good” in nature but they are not worthy before God if they don’t have Christ, the only way.

Galatians 3:2-3 NLT Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the Holy Spirit by obeying the law of Moses? Of course not! You received the Spirit because you believed the message you heard about Christ. (3) How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?

John 15:16 NLT You didn't choose Me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using My name.
Matthew 7:22-23 NLT On judgment day many will say to Me, 'Lord! Lord! We prophesied in Your name and cast out demons in Your name and performed many miracles in Your name.' (23) But I will reply, 'I never knew you. Get away from Me, you who break God's laws.'

You can do all the works that get you known by people but what is it worth if the Lord doesn’t know you?

Acts 19:15 NLT But one time when they tried it, the evil spirit replied, "I know Jesus, and I know Paul, but who are you?"
People may have gifts from God but it doesn’t mean they would enter Heaven if they are not humble (in union/relationship with Him).

Some of proud people are so unpopular that even the demons never heard of them!….


Luke 15:29 NLT but he replied, 'All these years I've slaved for you and never once refused to do a single thing you told me to. And in all that time you never gave me even one young goat for a feast with my friends.

I have heard of people who quit church because they have been ushering, tithing or serving for years but God never did this and that for them. That's what happens when you don't get what you have been working for, bitter! Previously, I donated R5 to a similar Parking attendant with attitude but he insulted me and scratched my car demanding R30. Those who serve must serve from the heart through God and not to earn blessings and rest in God's faithfulness and

Matthew 6:25-26 NLT "That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing? (26) Look at the birds. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren't you far more valuable to Him than they are?I know that in the Charismatic movement, we understand grace and our relationship with the father but our confidence must be in (the work) of Christ not in our works that we deserve blessings. God blesses the undeserving but humble!








































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your email address: